Re: autoconf help?

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Erik Thiele wrote:
>i prefer facts.
>in the end psychology is not what helps him.
>
>he wanted to get his scripts tested.
>and i did.

Actually, you never did run the scripts.

From: Jan Ekholm <chakie@infa.abo.fi>
>Yes, you did. But the tone was a bit too harsh. "Your stuff sucked so hard
>the only sane thing to do was rm -rf it". Maybe psychology is what is
>needed to push him to make a better product? I would at least not like to
>work on something that "the big hackers on the list" have said is totally
>worthless. Everyone releases a first product at one time, and usually it
>contains a few flaws.

I can be rudely blunt myself at times, so I didn't take any offense at Erik's
statements. But where do you go to find this stuff out? I'm inexperienced
at Linux, but not at coding. I have no trouble writing autoconf tests *when
I know what I'm testing for*. Where do you find this stuff out? How do you
test it?

<RANT>
Coding is easy. Setting up configuration scripts for a system that you
don't have is nearly impossible. Getting a package to run on your system
is, IMHO, the single biggest contribution you can make, and yet I keep
hearing (and I'm guilty of this myself) "I considered contributing to such-
and-such, but I couldn't get it to build, so rm -rf".
</RANT>

Anyway, I think adding the version number to the directory is a good idea
and I've done that. I have no idea what the difference between "tar.gz" and
".tgz" is when "tar xvfz" unpacks both of them. Now that I've moved the
HTML docs into a separate package, the INSTALL file should contain the
build instructions, that's a good point. But in the end, I still don't know if
it will run on anything other than Red Hat 6.x + Mesa.

Ah well, I'll keep plugging away at it. It'll get there eventually.

Jason
379