Re: SDL (was: Re: SVGALIB on Thinkpad)

Steve Baker wrote:
> "J. Perkins" wrote:
>>A waste of space maybe, but disk space is (relatively) cheap, and
>>end-user patience is not.
>
> The problem is with download times.  If you only have a modem, it
> can be a significant issue.  Remember that there are still lots of
> places in the world where you pay for the time you are connected,
> and other places where there are limits.

I guess it all depends on the situation. As you mentioned in
an earlier post, the code is often dwarfed by the content,
and that will certainly be the case with this project. But
even if it wasn't I'd probably go the same route. All of
these libraries together are < 400K. I'd rather lose a few
users to a slightly longer download than a lot of users to
a difficult install. Or put another way, you don't need a
lot of technical expertise to wait another ten minutes, but
you do need it to manage library dependencies (and root
access as well). And then there's Win32 users...

Just my $0.02,
Jason