Re: [linuxgames] Re: Installable from the first?

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:02:12AM -0500, Craig Maloney wrote:
And, as a Linux end-user, I would highly recommend if you're distributing
source to use the "configure / make / make install" route rather than most
of the systems out there. It works, and it works well.

And that usually translates well to things like RPMs and DEB packages, Klik and Autopackage, if you (or others) decide to go that route, later on.

In Tux Paint, for example, I simply maintain the Makefile and some other
volunteers roll together the DEB and RPM packages.  They certainly gave me
patches to the Makefile to help make things easier on them, but it was usually
pretty minor.

Of course, you usually need to produce something of interest before other
volunteers hop on board. :)

Also, I once heard about checkinstall, which will automatically create .deb or .rpm packages from an autotools project. It was actually pretty easy to use, and I imagine it has been updated since the year or so that I last tried it out.

--
GBGames' Blog, An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting Thoughts:
http://www.gbgames.com/blog