Re: RFC - first batch of OGRE images

Mark Collins wrote:

> I propose we establish a board of various people to decide what definitions
> each ratings have, and I'm not just talking about people from this list. I
> mean people from commercial developers and publishers.
>
> Anyone agree with that?

I really don't.  For starters, nobody on this list - or who is likely to
volunteer to write this stuff will have the relevent knowledge about what
is or is not acceptable at what age range.  Secondly, this will be a LONG
debate and it's gonna be quite hard to come to a consensus.  Thirdly, this
has already been done and is widely accepted.  All we need to do is to clone
the existing commercial standard.  It's not perfect - but it's widely understood
by end-users, designed by experts AND well documented.

Then when it comes to applying it, we don't have to do this perfectly to do well.
Everyone knows without having to read any documents or follow any standards that
some games are 'obviously' not an E rating and others are 'obviously' not an M
rating.  The middle ground is a little more vague - but if something is so
borderline, we probably don't care if it's a little 'off'.

I think self-certification with existing standards will do just fine - and it's
also much more in tune with the hacker ethic that characterizer OpenSource
developers.

> > that's all other stuff, tho, you're just looking for comment on the
> > pictures :) I think the picture are pretty good, are the edges alpha'd? I
> > think the edges/corners and shadow should be alpha'd so they look good on
> > any color webpage :)
>
> I'm not too sure on the images. They look a little sterile, and don't reflect
> the entertainment side of things. Maybe a picture of an Ogre in the
> background (yes, I'm going to milk the fact that I came up with the name, sue
> me)?

Yes - Baby Ogre, Teen Ogre, Mature Ogre, etc.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net