Re: Rendering triangle meshes with OpenGL

Mark Collins wrote:

>On Thursday 19 September 2002 7:11 am, you wrote:
>
>>I think you should have a look at glDrawElements() instead. This is a
>>lot faster
>>compared to using display lists.
>>

>Um, no. Display lists are pre-computed, where as vertex arrays aren't. When
>done properly, compiled lists are the fastest way to go.

I have done some benchmarks on nvidia hardware. In theory you may be right
but in practice most drivers are optimized for glDrawElements and not
display
lists. This is at least the case on nvidia. glDrawElements was a LOT faster
compared to display lists last time I benchmarked it (which was some
time ago
so current drivers may have different results).

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"In a word -- im-possible!"
"That's two words," said Dibbler.