Re: README file for Mac OS X package

The new packages works great for me on at least two different
machines. I will be testing it out some different platforms soon and
let you know if there are any problems with it.

Thanks for changing the package name to be version consistent.

As for "what to do next" I really like the idea of an optional
integrated package with privoxy. I don't think that the automatic
start-up is working well enough to include it yet...

As for the read me, a pointer to the or-talk list might be good to
include also so the dev list isn't getting flooded with "noobish"
questions. Also more basic info on tor or more pointers on "how to
make it actually work" would be great.

My first question from new users who look at the current "Read-Me"
file is going to be "where is the INSTALL file that is talke about?"
So maybe a better pointer to where the tor files are actually
installed would be a good idea.

Adam are you writing some stuff up? That would be great. If you need
any help please let me know.

th

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:32:52 -0800, Hideki Saito <hidekis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fixed "package" naming problem.
>
> Still working on welcome screen and readme screen. (I'll reflect
> changes to those for when 0.0.9 final is released.)
>
> I'm still looking into "what to do next" type of information display.
> (PackageMaker does not  provide builtin functionality to do this, so
> this needs to be accomodated somehow with scripting, which I still
> have to look into...)
> But some text for it would be useful, as it still can be included into
> dmg image.
>
> Also for things I'm considering:
> - Optional installation of privoxy
> - Optional installation of startup scripts (I have functional script
> for automatic startup/shutdown, etc. But still has some "issues")
>
> Downside is that they might bloat a package, but still out-of-the-box
> functionality experience may be beneficial.
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:53:00 -0500, Adam Shostack <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > A few more suggestions:
> >
> > Name the mounted disk image something other than "package"
> >
> > You might want to add some text like:
> >
> > "Tor is a system for using the internet anonymously, and allowing
> > others to do so."  to both the installer welcome screen and the
> > readme.  (Again, its the week-later install case.)
> >
> > A final screen with "what to do next" may be helpful.  I'll try and
> > write some stuff up for that shortly.
> >
> > Adam
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 10:09:37AM -0800, Hideki Saito wrote:
> > | File should be aligned better...

> > | --
> > | Hideki Saito mailto: hidekis@xxxxxxxxx
> >

> --
> Hideki Saito mailto: hidekis@xxxxxxxxx

--
     ..o:   It's 12 o'clock - do you know where your data is?   :o...
Hardening Your Macintosh - http://members.lycos.co.uk/hardapple/

pgp key fingerprint: 0F02 99D5 1D23 E445 22C9 9C90 8F24 FDBA B618 33C4