Re: [tor-talk] My experience contributing to any Tor Project projects

Kevin Simper:
> Hi Tor users and contributors
>
> I wrote down my thoughts about how to feels like getting started
> contributing to the tor project.
>
> https://www.kevinsimper.dk/posts/how-to-contribute-to-the-tor-project

Wow.

> Last year I did successfully submit a couple of changes to
> support.torproject.org that is awesome to see deployed! But it was mostly
> because of the awesome people on that team because everything else felt
> like it worked against me making any contributions just because how pieces
> of information are spread out.
>
> I will love to hear what you think! What triggered this what I was trying
> to report a bug and again meet all the different systems, but I did manage
> to create it https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30042
>
> What my point is that I am not just hating and have tried my best to use
> the systems before I talk about them, so my experience is authentic as
> possible :)

I think this is a great overview. I would love to see this linked somehow to a broader forum.

Tor is a wide open software project with so many diverse and intricate parts.

I could write up my contributions over the years, from battling with relays, UX research, training non-technical users, software porting and patching... and it would be unique, just like yours.

The bigger point is this: Tor isn't some simple one-sided project.  There are a lot of moving parts.

About the web site discussion, specifically:

To be bluntly honest, I didn't participate in the new www site roll-out to any extent, and only just looked at it this morning. If I had any criticisms or comments, I would be doing it humbly, since I wasn't part of the process.

Are there open source projects where that is not a valid dictum?

Everyone should remember that when the snowballs of condemnation are accumulating.

And remember, a lot of us volunteer a lot of free time to this project, and we appreciate how much others do also. The respect that TPO contributors get is well-earned.

Speaking as someone on the TPO Community Council, contributing to a software project means contributions, not jumping onto an avalanche of criticisms. The previous discussions on the new www site were utterly inappropriate.

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682