Re: Legal response to real abuse

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Moritz Bartl <tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> "This is considered the first strike of three -- the third resulting in the
> termination of your account."

And that is providing your ISP even lets you get to 3 strikes. From my
phone experience. tho it was not a letter DMCA and probably just a
scare tactic, but was told if I didn't resolve the problem of the
server being used for copyright infringements, etc, my account would
be terminated.

Even with the explanation, they didn't care cause of the complaints.
However, I said I would take care of the problem if you give me the
ports this was allegedly happening on. I then just blocked them and
have had no issues since then. By doing this, I still have a full exit
server running, and didnt lose the account and the ISP was happy.

Personally I don't trust the 3 strikes your out syndrome. Unless its
in the contract, I believe most ISP's can cancel the contract if they
believe their subscriber does not seem to want to take care of the
problem and the ISP has the paper work with the allegations, etc. But
I am not a lawyer.