Re: public archive?

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 07:08:11AM -0500, Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> And plus you get archive searching built in (at least for the time
> you've been subscribed to the list).

Archive searching is trivial with site:blah.net syntax in Google,
or a search engine like swish-e: http://swish-e.org/

> I know, it's a pain in the ass to do all this just to get subscribed
> to a mailing list.  Personally, I hate email - I think it's a horribly
> designed technology that unfortunately a lot of people insist on using

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. Email is self-archiving and
self-admining (Mailman), creates multiple redundant realtime-searchable
archives at each user's end (mailboxes) uses your favore editor and MUA,
supports encryption, authentication, anti-spam filtering, and
is sufficiently quick yet not realtime for in-depth discussions
(you won't find this on IM/IRC) -- and half a dozen other things
I haven't mentioned.

If you compare this to any other medium, you'll notice none of them
have all of those features. There are media complementary to email --
nobody will prevent you from using them.