Re: [tor-talk] Node Down and Old Version Notifications

I think someone else is already doing this -- at least for down nodes

I run a small exit node and when the box gets OOM and hangs I get an email with the subject: "[Tor Weather] Node Down!"

And that has a URL about the maintainer and code:

The original Tor Weather was decommissioned by the Tor project and this replacement is now maintained independently. You can learn more here:
https://github.com/thingless/torweather/blob/master/README.md

Kevin Gallagher <mailto:kcg295@xxxxxxx>
December 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM
Hello everyone,

The other day I got a really helpful e-mail. It seems a person named Paul wrote a program to check the PGP key servers and e-mail people to let them know that their keys are about to expire. After updating my key I thought about how an approach like this on the Tor consensus could be used to notify people when their Tor node goes down, or when their version of Tor is out of date and therefore their node becomes "not recommended."

Though such a tool might be useful, I wonder if it is in the spirit of Tor. I know that a lot of people obfuscate their e-mail when running a Tor node (using AT instead of @, etc.), and I'm sure part of the reason this is being done is because they don't want to be contacted by bots. However, maybe they would want to be notified if their node went down or was out of date.

Are there any thoughts on whether or not a tool like this is a good idea? If people think it's in the spirit of Tor I'm willing to sit down and try to write it up.

Thanks,

Kevin