Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

There are some good ones out there, but if you're using Tor to create the
account and login, you should know that many have started blocking Tor
users (or deactivating their accounts in the case of Yahoo). Size could
also be an issue, but if you're deleting them off the server on download,
then that problem goes away.

~Griffin

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Mysterious Flyer <
mysteriousflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello bvvq:
>
> Gmail is horrid.  The only way I can think of to get Google of my
> path is to encrypt all the e-mails I send through them.  The only
> problem is that I can't get anyone I know to download the software
> they would need to decrypt.  I'm pretty sure the only way around all
> that is to get a paid type of account.
>
> I think the next-best thing might be to delete the e-mails off your
> server after you download them to your computer.
>
> -Myserious Flyer
>

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:47:53 +1100
> bvvq <beveryveryquiet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi tor-talk,
> >
> > I'm not sure where else to ask this question so I give my apologies
> > if this is off-topic. Please feel free to suggest a better
> > list/forum/website.
> >
> > I've had a personal email account with GMail since it was
> > invite-only, but lately I've read a few stories about Google's use of
> > our emails to provide better targeted advertising to its users. These
> > stories make me uncomfortable and, continuing with my (slow)
> > changeover from Google services and products, I would like to change.
> >
> > In no particular order, what I would like from the email provider is:
> >
> >   * Privacy-conscious (don't parse my emails to target advertisements
> > to users)
> >   * Reasonable storage space (I have currently have 418 emails using
> > ~100MB in my personal GMail account)
> >   * Don't close the account if I don't log in with the web interface
> > in {X} days
> >   * IMAP preferred but POP will suffice
> >   * Free would be nice (I don't want to lose my email account if I
> > lose my job)
> >
> > Anonymous-/encryption-type services offered by HushMail or Safe-Mail
> > aren't a priority for me; I mostly want something reliable,
> > long-lasting, and not doing a Google on my emails.
> >
> > I appreciate your advice.

"What do you think Indians are supposed to look like?
What's the real difference between an eagle feather fan
and a pink necktie? Not much."
~Sherman Alexie

PGP Key etc: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Fontaine