Re: more letters from the feds

Eugen Leitl <eugen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 11:12:01AM -0500, patgus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >  Perhaps someone could draft a generic response letter to be sent to
> > law enforcement if a server operator is contact and post it online or
> > even include it in the package.
>
> It doesn't matter what you write, if your local jurisdiction
> outlaws e.g. pedophilia or persecutes online fraud and is serious
> about it you will receive more attention from LEOs and lawyers
> than you're comfortable with.
>
> Which is main reason why I'm no longer running an exit node.

I think it would be interesting to know if any single person
in Germany got more than one letter, or first a letter for one
investigation and than a personal visit for another one.

If you get the friendly letter to give up information about
your clients it already means you aren't considered a suspect.
If this decision isn't made arbitrary, it should be always the same
and someone who already got one of the service provider letters
could feel more comfortable than one who hasn't heard anything
from the authorities yet.

Of course it's a decision everyone has to make himself,
but I for one wouldn't mind answering the letters now and
then.

Fabian