Re: A suggestion to TOR [a proxy server]

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Kory Kirk <kory.kirk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ÂÂTorbutton is just a firefox extension. I have no idea how it could be
> shipped including tor itself. ÂIn my experience with windows machines in
> computer labs, you are able to install firefox extensions without the
> permissions to install programs. I mentioned torbutton for automatic
> checksum verification of the jar, it wouldn't be necessary - just
> convenient, because it could be done manually as well.

Firefox extensions can and do include arbitrary binary native code,
e.g. Firefogg includes ffmpeg, and I'm sure many others include native
code too. "Just an extension" is not a great way of thinking about
extensions!

If people subject to policy restrictions really can't install
"software" but can install extensions then an extension might be an
excellent way of getting tor software to people... perhaps a stripped
down end user proxy only distribution of Tor.