Re: [tor-talk] Hiding stuff

antispam06@xxxxxxx:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012, at 22:14, proper wrote:
>> My non-offical project supports [1] that. Java and Flash do not leak IP
>> or DNS.
>
> Even without leaking IP, they have far too much power for a far too
> small benefit. The ability to write or read the disk beyond the powers
> of the browser. Leaking font lists. With the HTML5 ability to play
> certain multimedia files they remain useful to time waste. Sure, a lot
> of companies abused applets so there are enough people who need that in
> order to do some work.

Any threads which are not listed in the link I've posted?

Like written, consider the Flash / Java usage in TorBOX pseudonymous
instant of anonymous due to the fingerprinting / likability functions of
those plugins. Also a good option just for circumvention of censorship.

For people who really can't abstain from Flash / Java it's the best
option I know of.

>> [1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX
>
> How does this project relate with Tails for example?

Different thread model, target user group, history and features.

Tails is an respected, established live CD. Based on Debian and Tor.
When Tails gets rooted, the users real IP address can leak.

TorBOX is an anonymous general purpose operating system. Based on Ubuntu
and Tor. Persistent. Young project. In TorBOX's thread model the client
(TorBOX-Workstation) can be compromised and there will be still no IP or
DNS leaks. The only way to connect is through the TorBOX-Gateway. [1] [2]

[1] The way to hack TorBOX would be to hack the VM and to infect the host.
[2] If you want even more security (also more complicated) you can even
use Physical Isolation. TorBOX-Gateway and TorBOX-Workstation run on
different hardware.

> How does VirtualBox
> relate with other emulators?

Master thesis anyone? There is probable a lot to say.
- Virtual Box is free and open source
- nice user interface
- supports internal networks
- does not emulate (much), but virtualize (faster)
- cross platform
- fast
-
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX/SecurityAndHardening#AboutVirtualBox