Re: [tor-talk] Speculation: Next 10 years of Tor?

I hope that onion routing comes a long way in the next 10 years, but I'm
not necessarily for tor still being around. Right now it's needed because
there's no good replacement, but I think that a better future would have a
prominent onion-routed meshnet instead of Tor, especially if lots of the
routers in the meshnet were solar powered and undocumented except for being
documented by their neighbor routers.

But right now Tor is one of the best tools we have. I would like to see
ways to make relaying easier - I've never been able to set up a relay
because I've always been behind some firewall (EG my community college)
that has stopped the relay. It's been technically beyond me to establish a
relay, and while I'm sure I could figure it out it hasn't yet been worth
the effort to me. I think Tor would have a lot more relay and exit nodes if
under all situations setting up a relay was as simple as hitting a button.

I think it would also be good to see the rest of the web standards form
around tor-level security. Right now you mostly disable javascript and
entirely disable flash through Tor, because they are insecure. It would be
nice if the full web was secure enough that Tor could use the full web
without vulnerabilities. This is the type of thing that the devs can't
really help, it's more up to the web community as a whole to take a stance
behind secure practices.