Re: [tor-talk] Speculation: Next 10 years of Tor?

David Vorick
> But right now Tor is one of the best tools we have. I would like to
> see ways to make relaying easier - I've never been able to set up a
> relay because I've always been behind some firewall (EG my community
> college) that has stopped the relay. It's been technically beyond me
> to establish a relay, and while I'm sure I could figure it out it
> hasn't yet been worth the effort to me. I think Tor would have a lot
> more relay and exit nodes if under all situations setting up a relay
> was as simple as hitting a button.

https://cloud.torproject.org/

Almost as simple as hitting a button, and $20 max per month.

(Not a relay, but also not an exit, so unlikely to result in nasty
outcomes for the operator.)

> I think it would also be good to see the rest of the web standards
> form around tor-level security. Right now you mostly disable
> javascript and entirely disable flash through Tor, because they are
> insecure. It would be nice if the full web was secure enough that Tor
> could use the full web without vulnerabilities. This is the type of
> thing that the devs can't really help, it's more up to the web
> community as a whole to take a stance behind secure practices.

https://tails.boum.org/

Flash is still problematic (I think, but being worked on), but
everything should be accessible as per any other Linux distro.

Overall I agree that the web should be more secure, but I don't think
it will be any time soon. The next solution is to move security to the
end point, have it on by default, and take options out of the hands of
the (uneducated) user. The Tor Project and associated groups are doing
just that.

It looks like you've been engaging on the tor-talk list for a few
months now. Keep it up, learn more, try more, report on things that are
good or bad. Join the tor-qa[0] list and help to test new version on TBB
as they are developed.

Put back into the community!

kat