Re: What will happen to Tor after the new German data retention law takes effect?

Perhaps there should be some type of flag the logging server can set
in their information so users can block them or tor can know to only
use one in each circuit.
Comrade Ringo Kamens

On 6/14/07, Eugen Leitl <eugen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 01:23:30AM -0700, JT wrote:

> Under the proposed new data retention law which will take effect 01/2008
> anonymizing services will be either banned or tor server operators will
> be required to log data which would render the tor software useless as

Just connection data, not routed data. Rather useless, unless you have
all logs from all nodes in the mix cascade, and captured the terminating
stream from an exit server in cleartext.

I also question how much this is problem in practice. In practice I
was only a frequent guest at the local police station when I ran an
exit. All investigation were directly complaint-driven.
I can imagine someone knocking on my door, because somebody with
an exit in Germany, or a collaborating country (even in the EU
this is not obvious, for petty crime cases) which logs shows logs
that lead to my middleman.

I'd think this is rare, but I'd still wish people who ran a
logging exit point in Germany who read this would stop, or switch
to middleman.