Re: Problem with bandwidth

Try to set BandwidthBurst to 20 KB. It should help, at least it works for me. One of my exit nodes uses Bandwidthrate 200KB and BandwidthBurst 250KB and other one uses 100KB and 100KB. No problems.

"This value should be at least twice your BandwidthRate."
That was new to me. What version are you using?

I'm using v0.2.0.2-alpha and `man tor` says following (and nothing about that it should be twice as BandwidthRate):

BandwidthBurst N bytes|KB|MB|GB|TB
Limit the maximum token bucket size (also known as the burst) to the given number of bytes in each direction. (Default: 6 MB)

Taken from http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#head-8defc2c4c3734f2995667fdedd175d507f6094ff

5.17. What bandwidth shaping options are available to Tor servers?

There are two options you can add to your torrc file:

* BandwidthRate is the maximum long-term bandwidth allowed (bytes per second). For example, you might want to choose "BandwidthRate 2 MB" for 2 megabytes per second (a fast connection), or "BandwidthRate 50 KB" for 50 kilobytes per second (a medium-speed cable connection). The minimum BandwidthRate is 20 kilobytes per second.

* BandwidthBurst is a pool of bytes used to fulfill requests during short periods of traffic above BandwidthRate but still keeps the average over a long period to BandwidthRate. A low Rate but a high Burst enforces a long-term average while still allowing more traffic during peak times if the average hasn't been reached lately. For example, if you choose "BandwidthBurst 50 KB" and also use that for your BandwidthRate, then you will never use more than 50 kilobytes per second; but if you choose a higher BandwidthBurst (like 1 MB), it will allow more bytes through until the pool is empty.

If you have an asymmetric connection (upload less than download) such as a cable modem, you should set BandwidthRate to less than your smaller bandwidth (Usually that's the upload bandwidth). (Otherwise, you could drop many packets during periods of maximum bandwidth usage -- you may need to experiment with which values make your connection comfortable.) Then set BandwidthBurst to the same as BandwidthRate.

Hope this helps...

Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
I saw that bandwidthburst is supposed to be the highest traffic that
Tor will use. That's not the problem. The first problem is that Tor
stays at that level, and does not drop down to the normal level.

The second problem is that Tor is advertising the higher rate, rather
than the maximum advertised rate.

BandwidthRate N bytes|KB|MB|GB|TB
   A token bucket limits the average incoming bandwidth usage on this
node to the specified number of bytes per second, and the average
outgoing bandwidth usage to that same value. (Default: 3 MB)

BandwidthBurst N bytes|KB|MB|GB|TB
   Limit the maximum token bucket size (also known as the burst) to
the given number of bytes in each direction. This value should be at
least twice your BandwidthRate. (Default: 6 MB)

MaxAdvertisedBandwidth N bytes|KB|MB|GB|TB
   If set, we will not advertise more than this amount of bandwidth
for our BandwidthRate. Server operators who want to reduce the number
of clients who ask to build circuits through them (since this is
proportional to advertised bandwidth rate) can thus reduce the CPU
demands on their server without impacting network performance.

Alright, so my Burst is not twice my Rate. I cannot manage twice the
minimum rate.
(Minimum rate is 20KB, twice that is larger than my physical upload speed.)

And, checking now, the outgoing bandwidth (system wide, but I'm only
using Tor and gmail right now) is between 29 and 31 KB/s.