Re: [ANNOUNCE] ROCKate Tor LiveCD V0.4.0.0

On 21.06.2007 11:21:23, coderman wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >... Although, I never used truecrypt. As for now
> >I use cryptsetup-luks to set up encryption.
>
> you may want to consider loop-aes instead. [0]  i'll try to avoid a
> flame war here, but dm-crypt/luks has some deficiencies [1] which may
> or may not be of concern.  if you do use dm-crypt/luks, make sure you
> have a recent version. (pref. 2.6.20+).

ROCKate currently runs on 2.6.21.3 so I guess it's fine.

> truecrypt is free and open, and pretty decent, particularly if you
> want win32 support.
>
> best regards,
>
> 0. key management is usually more difficult for loop-aes and the keys
> (multi-v3) are also larger.  that said, the key schedule and key
> scrubbing in loop-aes are preferable to the others IMHO.

Key management is an implementation detail and should be of no concern
to ROCKate users.

> 1. cryptoloop, dm-crypt, bestcrypt, truecrypt, and loop-aes  - Why
> cryptoloop should not be used.
>    http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.cryptoloop.php

Last update is over a year old. Which parts do apply to todays kernel?

Greetings,
	Benjamin
--
Go away, or I will replace you with a very small shellscript!
	http://shellscripts.org/