Re: Password Authentication Required

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, <phobos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 02:30:30PM -0400, 7v5w7go9ub0o@xxxxxxxxx wrote 0.9K bytes in 29 lines about:
: 'til you get a better reply, my newbie guess is that this sounds like a
: vidalia connection response. i.e. the hashed password in vidalia doesn't
: match the hashed pw in torrc.

THis is correct.  Vidalia, by default, sets a random password for Tor
controlport authentication when it starts up Tor.    You can set this
password to be static through vidalia in the "Settings | Advanced"
button.

--
Andrew

So is Vidalia setting the password to <random> every time it starts, or just the first time it starts?

If every time, then why would it prompt the user for the password when it already knows it?

If first time, then why doesn't it read the password from the torrc or vidalia.conf file and use that?

I remember having a discussion with Roger about this and, if I recall correctly, he wanted it to be able to handle authentication to the controlport without user interaction.  Less pop ups == better user experience was the argument.

Just curious.

Thank you,
-- Kyle