Re: Can't start Tor under Debian

> Since my initla email I have done "dpkg purge tor" followed by "apt-
> get install tor" however the issue remains the same with error
> messages identical to my first post.
>
>  /var/lib/tor is not owned by this UID
> > (113). You must fix this to proceed.
> Couldn't access/create private data directory /var/lib/tor
> Acting on config options left us in a broken state. Dying.

debian tends to be a little sloppy about removing directories.  as the
error message is quite clear, why don't you simply

$ chown 113:110 /var/lib/tor

by hand?  alternatively (if you don't like being expected to know unix
spells of this kind), you can purge the package, check whether
/var/lib/tor is still there, remove it ("rm -rf /var/lib/tor" or
"rmdir /var/lib/tor"), and install the package once more.  if you do a

$ ls -l /var/lib/tor

then and you don't find it's owned by user and group debian-tor, then
you have probably found a bug.  (what's does "grep tor /etc/{passwd,group}"
show on your host, then?)

cheers,
matthias