[tor-talk] TorBrowserBundle

On 03/07/2015 12:06 PM, Griffin Boyce wrote:
> Travis Bean wrote:
>> ... Linux computer users find TorBrowserBundle to be unwieldy and completely
>> insufficient for meeting their needs regarding easy installation and
>> configuration of a secure communications system.
>
> True, it does require two commands to start the Tor Browser in Linux:
>
> cd tor-browser_en-US/
> ./start-tor-browser
>
>    That's clearly way too many for Linux users, who are well-known to
> avoid both the terminal and software customization.

It may seem simple for savvy Linux users to start a web browser from the
command line, but I am referring to MS Windows users who have asked me
to migrate them over to Linux. They want simplicity, such as
double-clicking a Firefox icon on their desktop and taskbar. I know
desktop icon graphics integration may in the works, but for the time
being, TorBrowserBundle is unfortunately unwieldy for unsavvy computer
users.

> ... Of course the *real* win would be
> automatically seeking out updates via the tor network so that users are
> better protected from emerging threats.  Maybe someday

Integrating the web browser into the operating system is essential for
automatic security updates. From a computer security standpoint, this is
what bothers me the most about the current Alpha phase that
TorBrowserBundle is in. If a web browser is not integrated with the OS
and is not kept up-to-date on a regular basis, this creates a HUGE
security hole for hackers to exploit the OS by finding a weakness in the
web browser and injecting malware into the HTTP stream.

Kind Regards,

Travis L. Bean

--
T.L.Bean - Your source for FREE open source
www.tlbean.com