Re: [tor-talk] Tor Project - FOIA revelation ?

True, private commercial and corporate funding may indeed be no better; and in fact, one bugbear is precisely the extreme emphasis of state erosion of privacy in press to the neglect of private interest. Nonetheless, commercial systems are largely regarded as a lesser threat in adversarial terms (though this may be misleading). The reality is largely both, often in collaboration.
The state participation, with TOR openly touting its usage by military and law enforcement, also raises the impetus for nation state control of the technology; the implication is that anyone going online with Tor, for one, is facing a system where world powers are vying for control, rather than merely petty criminals, the darker side of the net et al, who are always the top of the bill in dumb renditions of the dangers of the online world.
Ideally, of course, all this would be crowd funded by its users. GRSec complained of its implementation by free users (particularly among the Debian community, I think) only to drop its free software availability, depriving the Linux community of one kernal hardening method (for those who can be bothered to work this hard - a note I add feeling an ideal OS should be available anyway - I would pay to see it developed GNU). SELinux, linked to the NSA, is left.
My feeling is that an ideal Linux security OS is sorely lacking, astonishing given its prolific permutations, and that TOR itself remains troubled for all the reasons I have cited: implementation, the war for exit nodes and their risks, and what appear to be a failure of secured DNS, judging from the 'poisoned DNS' impression made by online feedback. I rarely bother to fire up Tor now when using the net due to being unsure of its definite security value.

​Sent from ProtonMail, Swiss-based encrypted email.​