Re: FW: I still do not understand...

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:44:46PM -0700, admin wrote:

:Why do exit nodes have to be published? Why does the address of *any*
:node have to be published. Is this an inherent property of the design,
:or just an implementation shortcoming? Why can not the node resolution
:be done dynamically as one joins the net. I can easily the possibility
:of starting a connection, having the local tor consult a central server
:(call a root node, just as DNS) and then go from there.

your proposal of a dynamic dns style directory presents the same amount of
information to the client it just skips the "registration" aspect.  The list
is still published and needs to be discoverable or how will you build circuts?

You might be able to design a dynamic discovery protocol that would not give
out global views but only a small nodes that meed a given criteria, but then
you put even more faith in this central brokerage and a determined mapper
could still get a pretty good view through repeated use as a client.

So I don't see it as a moral of philosophical issue

-Jon