Re: Stephen Soghoian on U.S. Gov't Attitudes Toward Tor

What about the Department of the Navy that initially funded it?  I
wonder if it was pointed out in these meeting that it was the DoD that
wanted this in the first place through the Office of Naval Research
and DARPA?

Simple. It's okay for them to be sneaky to avoid *US* (the citizens) from knowing what they're up to, but *NOT* okay when we try to hide from them.

<TINFOIL HAT>
It's the .. "you shouldn't mind if we're listening if you don't have something to hide..." mentality that I've been told from many an $agency.
</TINFOIL HAT>

Keep in mind these are the same folks that think we should keep subscriber records for 3 years (and give them a key to our wiring closets) but stall like crazy when they get a FOIA request.

~Mike.