Re: A Server-oriented Incognito?

On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Andrew Del Vecchio wrote:
> Hey all,
>     I was just checking my mail and a (presumably) new Tor user had
> e-mailed me regarding one of my Tor articles on MPAssetProtection.com,
> a privacy related site. The essence of his question was whether or not
> it was possible to create a portable flash-drive Tor implementation
> that could be used to serve content. I explained to him how to go
> about doing this manually, which is something of a pain, especially
> for newbies. This got me thinking:
>
> What if someone developed a server-oriented version of Incognito that
> was designed to me remotely accessed, and thus had only the bare
> essentials to do various hidden services and act as an OR?
>
> This can probably be very easily done. No, I don't have the time or
> desire to do it myself (I'm in my last year of college plus work, and
> I'm NOT a CS major [Polisci]) ;)
>
> Hopes this spawns something creative.

Interesting. I know at least one person is using Incognito as an OR as-is. The
tiny version is being used.

If someone would identify what software would be desired and how to configure
it on the USB drive, I'd be willing to look into it. You'd need a web server,
hopefully something smaller and simplier than apache, any other kind of
server? Since you'd want the ability to edit the content on the USB drive,
the config could be in a directory structure like "/hidden". The private key
would need to be available, I would think in the home volume though since
truecrypt can be used to encrypt it.

I can't say I'm motivated to create another variant of Incognito for server
use for maintence reasons. The full version would definately have the
functionality. Depending on the server software required (httpd, etc), it may
fit on tiny, which is <50MB.

Anyone else interested? Someone who is running hidden services have ideas,
concerns?

--
Pat Double, pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Ye must be born again." - John 3:7