Re: [tor-talk] still unable to reach StartPage or Ixquick

On 10/7/2013 9:34 PM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
Thanks, but - Whoa!  Tor 0.2.4.x isn't declared stable, so skip it - go
straight to 3.0a?  I know it's got a lot of ? unproven as rock solid?
features, but what about my secret "double naught" spying duties?
So these are actually two versions number for two different
programs. 0.2.4.x referred to the tor version which is packaged in TBB.
3.0a referred to the TBB version. Your current version of TBB just
happens to have a very similar version number to tor's. TBB will be
jumping to 3.x soon, though, as Roger said, tor will remain on the
0.2.x.y path.
Thanks. I understood that, but Roger suggested skipping past 0.2.4.x-b, straight to 3.0a. Maybe things have progressed so fast, that 0.2.4.x versions are already outdated, before they were released as stable.
Either way, they're both still alpha or beta.
I actually experienced this yesterday. I was too busy to troubleshoot
the connection issue, but it appeared that the request timed out. This
happened for both startpage and DDG, but not the other websites I
loaded. T'was strange, but probably just circuit dependent. In short,
if this is what you saw then it isn't only you, but I don't know why
it's happening.
Yes, the pages are timing out - immediately, repeatedly, spread out dozenS of times over a week. Also happening on DDG. I would've used dozens of circuits & new identities. Some were U.S. exit relays. The only way I know of that could happen, is if the site's down (They aren't for regular Fx), or if they're blocking Tor traffic. Or something's interfering w/ TBB getting to them. DDG has also been unreachable w/ TBB. The newer 0.2.3.25-13 has the same issue.

Either it's not happening to that many TBB users, or;
Not that many actually use Startpage / Ixquick;
Other than you, list users are too busy to reply a "works for me," or "same problem here."