Re: I break the silence: My arrest

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 00:32:27 +0200 "Alexander W. Janssen"
> <alexander.janssen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Alex, perhaps you or somebody could put up a web page, in German, that
>>> explains in simple terms what Tor is about, aimed at explaining to the
>>> average German police officer what tor is about.  This might (or might
>
>      There is already a web page, though perhaps not tailored specifically
> for cops:
>
> 	http://tor.eff.org/index.html.de
>
>>> not) prove useful if other German tor operators get into a similar
>>> kind of situation.
>> Actually what'd be more useful would be something like a tag in the
>> whois-database... But the average copper would probably either ignore
>> or not understand it :-(
>>
>      Um...and that would be more useful how?  I thought the suggestion was
> to provide them information that *would* convince the average cop not to
> bother.

There's still the possibility that a server op is using their Tor node
as a scapegoat and really is doing bad things (I don't mean to imply
that's the case here). Even if the police know that their suspect is
running a Tor node, what Tor is, and what it's used for, they're still
going to investigate him. All we can hope for is that they'd be a bit
nicer about it.