Library Defeats Tor

In attempting to connect to TOR servers from a radio connection to our
local library wifi node (open to the public, no id required), I get a
series of error messages from TOR servers something like, from memory,
"redirecting //tor/bunchofencrypted symbols, will try again later..."

In order to make ANY connection from my laptop (after establishing a
radio link with the library access point) to any tor server, you must
FIRST go to a library title page, then agree to TOS and then you can
connect to tor servers. Prior to doing that, all you get is repeated
error messages like the one above. Firewall log shows no connections
being made.

Then after agreeing to the TOS, you are able to connect to tor servers,
but all dns requests go through a library computer IP, such that they
can see and record where you are going. I am not sure if they can see
the TCP content, but the UDP (which I assume is the dns lookups are all
being monitored and probably logged by the library server through which
you are connected. Firewall logs clearly show the outgoing and incoming
DNS packets to the library IP. Rest of connections to Tor servers in the
firewall log appear normal.

I have not run a sniffer yet on this, because my laptop is old and it
might not be able to handle it. But tor anonymity is obviously shot when
connecting to their wifi nodes. I believe I tried to block the DNS
lookups to the Library IP with privoxy generic block rules and then I
could not load any web pages, indicating again that the dns requests are
first being routed to the library machine, where they are, of course,
logged (and maybe sent off to the FBI, if your reading muslim materials,
haha).
--

  mark485anderson@xxxxxx

--