[pygame] rpm's released

Pete Shinners writes:
 > well, our ever trusty RPM packager David Clark has managed
 > to build the 1.0 RPMs for us. David created the rpms on his
 > debian system, so while they all seem correct, they have been
 > untested at this point.
 >
 > we're hoping any users on rpm-style systems can grab these
 > files and install them. we need to verify that they actually
 > work.
 >
 > one thing to note is that all the old RPMs installed into
 > "/usr/local". these new RPMs for pygame-1.0 install into the
 > more correct "/usr". just something to be aware of.

Well, perhaps not ever-trusty :) Anyway, I'd like to amplify what Pete
said about the location change on the rpms and the untested nature of
these packages.

Every rpm for pygame I've created before (every one you've downloaded
from the pygame page) has installed it's files to /usr/local. IE. the
libraries went in /usr/local/lib/python2.0/site-packages/pygame. This
behavoir has changed with the latest 1.0 rpms. Now the default
installation location is /usr - the libraries now go in
/usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages/pygame.

Why the change?

The /usr/local installation was always inappropriate. I knew it was
wrong when I did it, but I felt I had no choice, since the only RPMs
for Python2 at the time, BeOpen's packages, made the error of
installing themselves by default to /usr/local. The FSB is clear on
this - packaging systems should only touch /usr; /usr/local is for
non-packaged sysadmin-installed software only. Unfortunately, I
probably didn't yell loudly enough at BeOpen at the time. In any case,
the point is moot now; I'm using debian, which correctly installs
python2 to /usr, forcing me to use that as my install root anyway.

So now, the error is being corrected. Since we now have rpms from
ActiveState and third parties, there is now the opportunity to do
things right. Unfortunately, what this means is if you've been using
my rpms up until now, and you still have python2 installed in
/usr/local, you'll have to install like this:

rpm -Uvh --prefix /usr/local

How do you know where python is installed? Just type "which python" at
the command prompt; it will tell you /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

It may actually work without the --prefix included; I haven't been
able to test that.

Which brings me to the second point - I created these rpms on a debian
system, and haven't yet been able to find a system to test them
on. However, in the best tradition of everything I do, I've released
them untested :) So feedback on the quality of these packages is more
important than ever - now that we've reached 1.0, we can expect the
popularity of pygame to grow dramatically, and packaging errors now
are pretty dangerous. If you use them, please consider writing to me
or posting to the list, whether they work or not.

Thanks everyone.

--
David Clark
silenus@telus.net