Re: [pygame] Pygame

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 02:41 pm, Pete Shinners wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you're referring to with "efficiency". You first
> > paragraph refers to unrealscript being OO. Python's OO too. Everything
> > you state in that paragraph can apply in Python (ie. everything in Python
> > is an object).
>
> the one thing unrealscript has is it's state machine and latent
> funcitons built into the language. i've never seen or heard anything
> else like it.

Ah, OK, I see what he might've been referring to by "efficiency" now :)

Gotta love those custom-designed languages for fun stuff like that. I recall
designing one with a friend a while back that was going to be particularly
suited to simulating robots and spaceships in battle (for a strategy game).
About the only thing that it really had going for it in the end was:

- it could have had a really solid sandbox for untrusted code to play in, and
- we could precisely measure the amount of time available for code to run for.

All the other stuff (message passing and some other syntactic sugar) just
wasn't worth it.

> in a clumsy way it could perhaps be emulated with
> generators or iterators or something in python.

And the threading module for Threads perhaps, with Events helping in the
waitfordoor etc. situations?

    Richard