Re: [pygame] OpenGL 2D Game

Shandy Brown wrote:
My friend has a PSP and loves Lumines.  He sent me a link to a video
review of it on Gamespot.

I must say it looks stunning and inspiring.  Now I want to make a 2D game
with beautiful alphablended animations.

Does anyone know of an OpenGL tutorial that would be a good place to
start?  I'm not interested in making spinning cubes and pyramids, I'm more
interested in a 2D surface that I can do dynamically alpha-blended
animations on and lighting effects, etc.  I'd prefer not to do any vector
math, if it can be avoided.

The NeHe tutorials you refer to really are relevant. Lighting and alpha-blending appear around Lesson 7, and though it's not explicitly mentioned, you can manually shade any shape by setting a color before you draw it with a texture.

<http://www.xepher.net/~kschnee/landscape2.jpg> shows what you can do with just cubes, before even getting into lighting.

Kris