Re: [pygame] Re: 100% CPU

On 4/23/07, Dave LeCompte (really) <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But to hardcode an upper limit on CPU usage for the general case still
really baffles me.

Why you would WANT to max out the CPU really baffles me.

Some of us (like me) do our pygame programming while the computer is
doing lots of other stuff.  Personally, it's not uncommon for me to be
rendering one of my video projects (working on home videos from the
90's right now), which takes hours of full-CPU usage.  If my simple
apps used busy-waiting or any other inane waste-of-cycles, both my
rendering AND my pygame app would suffer.

Also, the pygame apps I develop go to my daughter's G3 iMac to be
played.  If they use very much CPU on my MBPro (C2D 2GHz), they're not
even going to be playable on the G3.

So, for me, the two biggest benefits of being efficient with CPU usage
are 1) Concurrently running programs are affected minimally, and 2)
the program works great on much slower machines.

I mean, I can understand USING the cycles to achieve some desired
benefit.  What benefit is there to wasting CPU cycles in a
non-chess-AI-like scenario?  To me, a program that maxes out the CPU
is a sign of bad programming, unless that program actually makes good
use of all the cycles that it gets.

~ Nathan