Re: [pygame] Packaging many small sound files

At 17:43 02.08.2002 -0300, you wrote:
>In the home page of ogg vorbis, they have a link to a encoder that is
>only for encoding voice... it can compress a lot more than ogg for
>voice only files. Also why do you need the wavs?? Besides that I liked
>the idea.

You mean the Spexx codec? Thanks for the hint, I will have a close look at it..

I need wavs because:

1. As I understand the pygame-mp3-playback capability, I can't have more
than one active sound at the same time. (Is that right?) We need to overlay
the word sounds with special sound effects indicating long vowels, special
syllabic and prosodic properties of the words etc.

2. The program uses about 200 different words and we currently have
recordings from 6 different speakers.  We want to have recordings from many
different dialect regions and users (mostly teachers/therapists with low
technical skills and low tolerance concerning any "extra effort") should be
able to create / modify and provide their own sound file packs. In my
opinion, zip-files containing wavs are the most "common-sense" format.

3. We plan to incorporate some phonetic analysis algorithms to detect vowel
length, syllable cut prosody etc. which can be directly applied to wav files.

All three points are not too strong contra non-wav formats, so if anyone
has a good idea for my problem, it'll be highly appreciated.

Happy pygaming,
Tobias