[pygame] Codebase for tile-based games

I'm interested in playing around with making a tile-based RPG.  I
started writing the graphics directly from Surface, but I figure someone
has probably gotten much further than this, and maybe in a reusable sort
of way (though if it's a game that I'd need to rip apart, that's cool
too).

I'm not that interested in the graphics -- I'm much more interested in
gameplay, but I need graphics before I can get to that point.  OpenGL,
for instance, seems like overkill (mostly because I don't want to do 3D
art :)

Could someone recommend a good starting place, code-wise, for my
efforts?  Thanks much...

  Ian