Re: [pygame] is fast opengl a possibility in pygame?

Rene Dudfield wrote:

Another thing which is faster... believe it or not... is to use

translate/rotate calls instead of pushing and popping the matrix.

glTranslatef(gx,gy,gz)
glRotatef(grot, grx ,gry ,grz)
drawBOB();
glRotatef(grot, -grx ,-gry ,-grz)
glTranslatef(-gx,-gy,-gz)

I too found my code was faster after I pulled out Push/Pop Matrices (simpler too). Such manipulations turned out to be more expensive than I expected at first glance; I didn't run any serious time tests (I was happy just that the code was simpler), but it sure felt like it was taking longer than setting and reading 16 floats should.

-Jasper