[pygame] Sprites

Is it possible to change the colour of a sprite starting at one end and finishing at the other? so if I have a pipe, and want the pipe to change to green or red or whatever, could I have it start the change at one end and finish at another?
Is there a tutorial were this type of thing is posted?
I am really interested in this but am stuck at no were.
Brian