Re: [pygame] Status of PyGame on Windows Vista

Miriam English wrote:
If you know anyone in China you can probably get a legal copy of vista there for $3, which is what I've heard Microsoft are selling it for there. (I think they are dead-scared of China having declared Linux the national operating system.)

I don't know anybody who is taking up Windows Vista.
I don't either. I'm a CS major at a state school and all of my friends are sticking with XP or moving to Ubuntu or Fedora.
All the people I know have either made the move to Linux or remained with WindowsXP. Many have even stayed with Windows98. It has been quite surprising to me as there was a stampede among clubs and people I knew to get WindowsXP when it first came out, but nothing like that has happened with Vista. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about Vista unless it actually takes off.
The only reason I'd ever upgrade to Vista is the same reason I don't use Linux exclusively - video game support. If the big developers started making Linux versions of their games as well, I might be inclined to buy those instead. I don't think this would be too hard - Blizzard has made mac/windows versions of all of the games they've ever made, and OSX is based on Unix, so if every company designed their engine with an intermediate OS-specific wrapper between their code and the OS, it should be trivially easy to add new OS support (just rewrite the wrapper for that system), right?
Personally I spend my time oriented to Linux, having moved from Windows some time back.

Best wishes,

    - Miriam

René Dudfield wrote:
Hello,

I don't have vista to test either...  Does anyone know how to get
cheap/free non pirated versions of Vista for pygame development?
I can get free versions of Vista Business from my school, but I've found that even though it's free I still have no desire to install it.
-Luke