Re: [pygame] The Giant - 'cool project I'm working on now' - thread.

Knapp wrote:
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Michael George <mdgeorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's still somewhat on the back burner, but I've been working on a library
to allow you to drag and drop irregularly shaped objects (esp. circles and
polygons) while preventing interpenetration.  It's a surprisingly hard
problem and I'm reading a lot of computational geometry papers to find an
algorithm to solve it.

You talking 3d? If it is 2d, then just drop lines from the outside edges.
No, I'm talking about 2d. If you have an easy solution, I'd love to see it, but I think I've just failed to communicate the problem. I want to allow objects to be dragged into holes that are just the right size, and to make it easy to drag objects along the edges of other objects. I've formalized the problem as follows: given an object and a collection of obstacles, and the position of the mouse, find the point closest to the mouse where the object can be placed without intersecting with any of the obstacles.

Can you expand on what you are suggesting?

--Mike