Re: [pygame] What is fun? WAS The Giant - 'cool project I'm working on now' - thread.

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Wayne Koorts <wkoorts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There will always be some people who love a game,
> others who hate it and others still who are in-between.

This is interesting with the way things are rated in most popular culture.

Consider these fake ratings of a game that gets rated like this:
love: 30 people
hate: 30 people
average: 0 people

Now if you average up the votes for that game, then it will come out
with an average score.  But is this really an average game?

Even though half the people absolutely loved it... the other 30 people
who hated it brought the average score down, so when rated it comes
out as an average game.

There exist some games where many people hate, but also some people
absolutely love them.  This is why many rating schemes are broken for
various types of entertainment (music, film and games etc).