Re: [pygame] examples not running

> I think it's safe to say that DX7 is required
> somewhere in the pygame docs.

once SDL-1.1.7 is released and decided, that is the version of
directx pygame will need. my prebuilt binaries require DirectX7
for now, but that could change here in a day or two, so i'll
wait and see :]

> Anything you want me to look at while the machine is
> locking up?  It doesn't seem to happen that often
> anymore, but I'm not running as many demos as often in
> the same console window.  Again, I can't see memory
> going down the tubes, and it happened even with a simple
> CD drive program.

hmm, this is a slippery one. how much memory do you have?
the problem might be more noticeable on low memory systems.
you mentioned the problem showing up with just the cd module.
can you send me that program? a small python program that
has the problem would be easy to 'mirror/port' to SDL C code.
then we might can start to narrow down who to point fingers at :]

it might be SDL using the directx5 libraries when compiled
against directx7?

...time passes as i read sam's reply to my question...

ok, directx7 is the definite requirement. SDL can run with directx5
but it starts to lose some of the features. i'm not planning to deal
with 'which features are available based on runtime librares', so
directx7 is required for windows pygame.

if someone really needs directx5, you should be able to get
SDL compiled with it. pygame should even run well with it. i'll
lend a helping hand if any specific problems come up, but you'll
be on your own for the most part.

it looks like SDL-1.1.7 might better enforce which directx version
it is using, so most of these problems should clear up.