Re: [pygame] pyopengl and pygame

On Dec 22, 2004, at 6:19 PM, Jasper Phillips wrote:

I started out using Pyui for a prototype, but decided after a while that
it's lack of support and usage was a serious liability. It's not that pyui
is bad per se, but it's alpha code in many ways, there is nobody to go to
for help, and it doesn't have the sort of higher level gui designer tools
you'll find for more established toolkits.

So I messed around with wxPython a bit, which has so many advantagous as a
piece of software, but it just didn't do what I needed it to do.
Specifically creating your own theme was a pain in the ass, it just didn't
do translucency, and didn't seem easy to extend.

So I looked around a bit, and ended up deciding I could either use Pyui, or
craft my own toolkit based on pygame/pyopengl just like Pyui. In that light
Pyui didn't look so bad, but if something doesn't work right I get to fix it.
Fortunately it's pretty easy to extend and maintain.

Now I keep my own copy of Pyui in a local Subversion, which I extend as
needed. So far I've hacked it's use of OpenGL textures a bit, expanded the
event handling to pick up some missing events from pygame, fixed a couple of
bugs, and customized my theme and some widgets.

Perhaps it's worthwhile to make this source public and start a pyui fork project? pyui2?

red-bean.com or codespeak.net would probably provide for a http subversion repository.

I think the biggest limitation with SDL, related to this project, is probably the lack of multiple window support. Everything else can be more or less hacked around.. but pyui fills an important niche - full screen game UI.

-bob