Re: [pygame] rendering wide unicode characters?

Aha. I decided to hunt through the unicode charset to figure out what
was going on. The character I was passing was unicode char U+1D11E,
but the character that is being rendered is U+D11E. Trying a few more
characters above 2**16, it seems like the SDL_ttf code is truncating
the number to a short. I checked, the pygame code is passing the
correct utf-8 to the SDL code.

Looking further, the SDL_ttf code looks like it's got a lot of UInt16
everywhere. I think that the problem is pretty clearly in SDL_ttf.

Does anyone know the correct way to log a bug against SDL_ttf? At the
very least, if it's going to truncate the characters available to
2^16, it should refuse to render characters with a higher value.
Better yet, of course, would be to actually fix it. The underlying
freetype2 code handles it fine, it seems.

Anthony