[pygame] The future of Numeric

Hi eveyone,

I see the last main roadblock to adopting NumPy, lack of free documentation, is no longer an issue. There is plenty of documentation to be found here: http://docs.scipy.org/doc/ , including Travis Oliphant's book. So what to do with Numeric. I suggest we freeze any further support for Numeric. Leave what we have in place in Pygame, but not update it. Any new unit tests or examples will use NumPy exclusively. And Numeric support will be dropped altogether for Python 3.0. It's unlikely Numeric will be available for Python 2.6 on Windows, though someone is welcome to try.

If no more effort is given to Numeric then further work can be concentrated on NumPy. I would suggest optimizing surfarray and sndarray as needed, maybe even adding C code in places. For the most part though we continue using the Python code written by Marcus von Appen. So what do you think?

Lenard

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>