Re: [pygame] pykanoid

Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> > Looks nice from the screen shot.  I'll try it out this weekend when I
> > have some time.  I'm actually in the process of writing a breakout-like
> > game myself so I'm curious to see how you did physics and collisions.  I
> > have mine working okay but they do need some fine-tuning.
>
> heh .. thanks. Hope you can use some of my code ..

Yeah, me too.  :-)  I just tried out Pykanoid, looks cool!  It played
quite well too.  Only two minor problems:  I had to upgrade to pygame
1.4 to run it.  1.3 didn't work like the README says.  Also when I
finished the first level the next level's bricks had a "hole" visible
where the ball hit the last brick.  (Running under WinME/Python2.1)
Otherwise it was pretty smooth, and challenging too!

> > (BTW my breakout game is a faithful clone of an already existing game
> > that I doubt anybody here has ever heard of, so there shouldn't be much
> > feature overlap.  But if so, I won't bother releasing mine.  I mainly
> > just wanted to see if I could do it anyhow.)
> Do you have an url for it?

The game I'm cloning is called Orbit.  It came with STOS BASIC, a
game-creating language for the Atari ST.  You probably could go through
emulator sites to find it, if you really wanted to.  Its main feature is
that the powerups are visible in special types of bricks when the level
starts, and hitting the brick automatically awards the powerup (no
dropping capsules).  It's also interesting in that it has no multiball,
but is still quite fun.  It does allow limited vertical movement of the
bat and there's also a powerup to get more vertical movement.  So it
plays a bit differently than an Arkanoid-style game, even though it's
the same basic premise.