From: owner-pygame-users@seul.org [mailto:owner-pygame-users@seul.org]On
Behalf Of Magnus Lie Hetland
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 3:35 PM
To: pygame-users@seul.org
Subject: Re: [pygame] Does anyone have a python implementation of A*?

Pete Shinners <shredwheat@attbi.com>:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
> > I think the point of difference is that the for loops in list
> > comprehensions are more likely C for loops, like with the builtins (map,
> > reduce, zip, etc)
>
> sadly not really. list comprehensions are the same speed as for loops.
>
> 	newlist = []
> 	for x in oldlist:
> 		newlist.append(abs(x))
>
> results in nearly identical speed with the list comprehension:
>
> 	newlist = [abs(x) for x in oldlist]
>
> of course, for simple problems like this, the map/filter/reduce family
> can run them a bit quicker:
>
> 	newlist = map(abs, oldlist)

My point exactly. As far as I know, list comprehensions are translated
into the same bytecode as the equivalent for loop. (At least I think
I've heard that.)

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org