Re: [pygame] Fwd: install problem

On Feb 25, 2006, at 1:14 PM, James Paige wrote:

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 01:56:28AM -0600, Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 12:28 PM, James Paige wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:12:02PM -0600, Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:19 AM, James Paige wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:28:24AM -0800, Peter Shinners wrote:
Forwarded message from unsubscribed user
Elliot Temple <curi@xxxxxxx>

Hi,

Hi, Elliot! Read on for information about how I got python+pyame working on my Macs.

I have OS X 10.4.5

I have tried and failed to get pygame working. I've tried
running the
installers but nothing noticeable changes. I found pygame in the
include folder in python somewhere but when i try to import it, it
isn't there. There may be multiple versions of python on my system,
and if so I don't know where they are. I just type "python" in my
terminal (or pythonw IIRC). this is a mac; there shouldn't be
installers at all, just disk images with icons to drag to my
harddrive :-)

I have had all the best luck using Bob Ipolito's "Framework" build of python 2.4.1 which you can get from here:

http://undefined.org/python/

In particular, you want both  of the following:
http://undefined.org/python/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg
http://pythonmac.org/packages/TigerPython24Fix-r2.zip

Install them, and then to verify that it worked, go to the
console and
run python. You should see the python version number, something like
this:

darkside:~ james$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.

If that is NOT what you see, contact me (or this list) again, and I
(or
someone) will help you find out why the wrong version of python is
being
run. The fact that you have apparently already attempted
installing a
couple different versions of python may confuse this step a bit.

By default, you will still see Python 2.3.5. You will need to add /
usr/local/bin to your PATH, preferably from a .profile or something.

something like this should do the trick:
echo 'export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.profile

Note that you will have to start a new Terminal window for this to
take effect, or source ~/.profile

-bob

Oh! I forgot about that part!

I solved the problem differently. at the console, I did:

su     <type root password>
rm /usr/bin/python
ln -s /usr/local/bin/python2.4 /usr/bin/python
rm /usr/bin/pythonw
ln -s /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.4 /usr/bin/pythonw
exit

That is a horrible idea! Do not do that. Ever.

Really? It has work flaweless for me, and has not caused any problems of
any kind-- that being said, yes, I understand it is not for everyone,
and I made no mention of the symlink thing on the wiki, explaining only
your suggestion for adding /usr/local/bin to PATH in .profile

You haven't had any problems *yet*. /usr/bin/python is used by several applications, and those applications expect Python 2.3 perhaps with the proprietary Apple CoreGraphics bindings. I believe that you have broken several components of the printing/pdf architecture and fax cover page generation. There also third party applications that currently depend on this particular Python, such as Thumbscrew.

Just because you haven't had any problems, doesn't mean you didn't break anything.

-bob