Re: [pygame] Fwd: install problem

On Feb 24, 2006, at 12:28 PM, James Paige wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:12:02PM -0600, Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:19 AM, James Paige wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:28:24AM -0800, Peter Shinners wrote:
Forwarded message from unsubscribed user
Elliot Temple <curi@xxxxxxx>

Hi,

Hi, Elliot! Read on for information about how I got python+pyame working on my Macs.

I have OS X 10.4.5

I have tried and failed to get pygame working. I've tried running the
installers but nothing noticeable changes. I found pygame in the
include folder in python somewhere but when i try to import it, it
isn't there. There may be multiple versions of python on my system,
and if so I don't know where they are. I just type "python" in my
terminal (or pythonw IIRC). this is a mac; there shouldn't be
installers at all, just disk images with icons to drag to my
harddrive :-)

I have had all the best luck using Bob Ipolito's "Framework" build of
python 2.4.1 which you can get from here:

http://undefined.org/python/

In particular, you want both  of the following:
http://undefined.org/python/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg
http://pythonmac.org/packages/TigerPython24Fix-r2.zip

Install them, and then to verify that it worked, go to the console and
run python. You should see the python version number, something like
this:

darkside:~ james$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin

If that is NOT what you see, contact me (or this list) again, and I
(or
someone) will help you find out why the wrong version of python is
being
run. The fact that you have apparently already attempted installing a
couple different versions of python may confuse this step a bit.

By default, you will still see Python 2.3.5. You will need to add / usr/local/bin to your PATH, preferably from a .profile or something.

something like this should do the trick:
echo 'export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.profile

Note that you will have to start a new Terminal window for this to
take effect, or source ~/.profile

-bob

Oh! I forgot about that part!

I solved the problem differently. at the console, I did:

su     <type root password>
rm /usr/bin/python
ln -s /usr/local/bin/python2.4 /usr/bin/python
rm /usr/bin/pythonw
ln -s /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.4 /usr/bin/pythonw
exit

That is a horrible idea! Do not do that. Ever.

-bob