Re: [pygame] Re: Stand-alone executables

On 2/20/07, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel McNeese wrote:
> Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@...> writes:
>

>> Why exactly can't people see your code, Daniel?
>> Is it just that distributing the source makes it inconvenient for them?
>> Because you shouldn't expect these py2exe-type programs to protect your
>> code.
>>

> For both of those reasons and more.
>
> A stand-alone executable is the easiest way for a new user to get right into
> the game, and the less the game demands of him before the fun starts the more
> likely he is to stick with it.  If potential customers are giving up before
> they even get the game running, that's *bad.*

I think Blizzard Entertainment would disagree with you there.
If you want to be one of the 10,000,000 people who play World of Warcraft,
first you download the installer (approx 3.5 GB)
Then you have to upgrade to patch 1.2.  465 MB.
(There is no full-upgrade, I'm not exaggerating this.  These are the
actual steps you have to go through to play)
Then you have to get 1.12 to 2.0.1.  504 MB.
Then 5 more incremental patches, each approx 5 MB, which require you to
restart and re-login after each.

Do you still think this has a bearing on who sticks with games?

That has very little relevance to the kind of games that one would produce with pygame. Also, I would imagine most people are already stuck with WoW cause they've already purchased it.

-bob