Re: [pygame] Re: Stand-alone executables

On 2/20/07, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob the Hamster wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I mean, if these are the people you're going after, don't bother making
>> a Mac version. Or a linux version for that matter.  98% of your apparent
>> target audience (who don't want to / can't install Python) are going to
>> be on Windows.
>> So just make a py2exe version and provide the source for other
>> platforms.
>> -Luke
>
> I must disagree about the Mac version. (though I agree about wanting
> source for Linux)
>
> A while back I made a simple little game
> http://hamsterrepublic.com/games/leaping/ which I provided both as a
> Windowx exe installer (py2exe+innosetup) and as a Mac
> py2app-inside-a-DMG
>
> According to my server logs, the download count for the two files exe
> and dmg are almost balanced. 50% 50% on average. Mac users to really
> like to get app bundles in dmg packages.
Is there a way to create the .dmg packages made if you don't have a mac?
I think that's the main issue right now.
If it's simple to compile for all platforms then it would behoove him to
do so,
but the OP said he didn't have access to a mac.
I wasn't trying to suggest that the Mac version was useless, or anything
like that,
just that the obstacles seemed too great to make a Mac version.

Even if there was some hack that let you build a Mac bundle without a Mac, you still wouldn't be able to test it. You'd almost definitely do it wrong, and you'd publish an executable that just doesn't work. Users would not like that.

If you want to make a Mac application, you need a Mac. Just like you
need Windows to make a Windows app or Linux to make a Linux app. There
aren't really any exceptions (especially for the Mac), and it's
unlikely that there ever will be.

If your game is worth playing and you don't want to buy a Mac then try
and find someone to port it to the Mac and test it for you. It's
likely not that much work if they know what they're doing.

-bob